N&W in 1904 -- Air Brake Instr. Car

Tue Dec 4 21:37:49 EST 2007

Air Brake Instruction Car Has Arrived
The International Correspondence School's instruction car is now in the Norfolk and Western yards in this city and will probably be here a few days as there is a large number of brakemen, conductors, enginemen and firemen that will take advantage of the chance to further their knowledge of the air brake.
This car is thoroughly fitted for the work intended, and all minute details of the air system are in plain view making it one of the best and most easy manners in which to master the difficulties connected with this system of brakes, that is used on all railroads today.

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
November 12, 1904

[I knew of the correspondence courses offered by ICS, but this is the first that I knew of this roaming instruction car. In later years, many railroads, including the N&W had their own air brake instructions cars.]

Gordon Hamilton