Affiliated Short LInes

Wed Dec 5 07:48:28 EST 2007

Ed:
Nice article in Trains.

George Weber

________________________________

Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 11:40 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: Affiliated Short LInes

What Picture?

EdKing

Sent: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 8:59 PM
Subject: Affiliated Short LInes

Some recent mention of the Marion and Rye Valley RR on the
Mailing List induced me to sent this message for whatever interest it
may have to someone who doesn't know about these items already.

In the course of looking through N&W Ry. Annual Reports
(available on a CD through the NWHS Commissary) I found it interesting
that the N&W had invested in a couple of Southwest Virginia short lines
thru bond ownership, i. e., the Marion and Rye Valley RR, which
connected to the N&W's Bristol line at Marion, VA, and the Beaver Dam
RR, which connected to the N&W's Abingdon Branch through an N&W branch
out of Damascus, VA.

The attached picture of a Beaver Dam RR tunnel through Backbone
Rock now used by Tennessee Highway 133 is interesting. The story is
that after the tunnel was completed and the track laid, it was
discovered that the locomotive's smokestack would not clear the roof of
the tunnel, so the roof had to be hand chiseled for clearance. The
result seems to be evident in the picture.

Gordon Hamilton