Class A ? & a comment

Sat Dec 8 09:38:52 EST 2007

The wonderful book by Bob Lewis, whom I traveled with across Russia on the TransSiberian in 1991 has one bad caption concerning the N&W showing a westbound making a very determined pull up to the KENOVA BRIDGE but listed as EASTbound.

OAKIE G. FORD
IRONTON, OH
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: Class A ? & a comment

"Incidentally, the picture that you attached appears to have been copied from a publication with a caption that places the locale in Roanoke. Both Louis Newton and I do not believe the scene is in Roanoke. We think it could be Lamberts Point."

Gordon,
Thanks for taking the time to research the Wilson Radiators.
That picture of the Class A was the second from and old article that I have posted in the past few weeks. If you remember, the first was of a Y Class double heading with a K2 Class. The caption with that photo stated the locos were a Class A and J. So, with that mistake in mind, it wouldn't surprise me that the other picture's caption was mistaken also.

From what I have learned over the years and from what has taken place on this forum in the past few weeks in regard to locations, I am very leary as to what is said in captions. Captions are not always correct and at times seem to be thrown together on a whim by the author or whoever did the captioning. I found one in a very prominate new book on the N&W.
So be careful that you don't go around betting your hard earned money based solely on what some caption says, you just might get proven wrong!
Jimmy Lisle