wheel slippage

Fri Dec 14 00:43:54 EST 2007

If you want to know how difficult a cylinder casting in the US today is, then ask the Austin Steam Train Assoc. They had a new one cast for the SP 786. A crack was found and the engine taken out of service around 2000. The Boiler is now at one shop and the frame/running gear at another. The current time line has the boiler and frame being finished and returned to Austin for completion of the rebuild in 2008. Running gear, wheels and cylinders will all be practically new when she returns to service.

Jason Greene
Steele, AL

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2007 3:08 PM
Subject: Re: wheel slippage

In addition to the rail burn problem mentioned by Harry Bundy, there has been at least one instance of uncontrolled slipping resulting in motion damage. A few years ago in the UK, on a steam-hauled excursion, a poorly trained engine driver allowed his 4-6-2 to slip so badly that one or more rods bent or were broken. This not only destroyed the motion, but it also seriously damaged the cylinder casting. I believe that the loco is serviceable again, but I think that they had to have the cylinder assembly recast. (Can you imagine trying to find someone to cast a cylinder saddle in the US today?)

On a modern US loco with cylinders integral with the engine bed, this would be a disaster!

pete groom