Y retirements

Fri Dec 21 13:20:52 EST 2007

EdK:
Compared the entry for Y6a 2162 in the assignment ledger
with what's in Prince's book. Not a lot of difference except
ledger gives date engine received (7/3/42), date retired
(11/30/59), place retired (Williamson) and date sold (12/24/59
to Friedman, but ledger notes Cincinnati, not Portsmouth.
That may have been Friedman's home office, not scrap
location).

Ledger notes that 2162 was initially assigned to the Radford
Division. The last divisional transfers were recorded
in 1929 (for some reason). Additionally, the 2092 was
originally assigned to the Shenandoah Division, but of
course it's last service was apparently on another division.
It's also interesting to note that the 4-4-2 J's were all
assigned to the Norfolk Division, but the 4-8-4 J's were
assigned to the Radford Division, probably because
Shaffers Crossing was the maintenance and test shop.

After 1929, it appears that the only additional information
ledger will provide that doesn't appear in Prince's book is
exact date locomotive was received, scrapped, sold and
initial division assignment. Engines sold to other railroads
have interchange information.

Sorry, Ron Hash, I'd left for Roanoke before your request
was posted. I'll keep your request in mind.
Harry Bundy