Y retirements

Sat Dec 22 16:14:41 EST 2007

Gordon and Ed,

This reflects the transistion from steam to diesel and the movement of locomotives from the Roanoke Terminal to the last use of steam on the Pokey. At the beginning of the period, all main line steam dispatched out of Roanoke was east to Norfolk and west to Bluefield since the Shenandoah, Winston Salem and Bristol lines were all diesel on 1-1-1958. Roanoke ceased all main line steam dispatches in early July 1959 except for an occasional excursion later in that year.

Bud Jeffries
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:27 AM
Subject: Re: Y retirements

Ed,

Some surviving MP files of monthly reports covering Jan. 1, 1958 - April 1, 1959 show all Y-6, Y-6a and Y-6b assigned to "Poca "and "Poca-T" (whatever that is) except for 28 assigned to "R. T." at the beginning of the above period and only 3 assigned to "R.T." at the end of that period.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:07 PM

Harry -

That's the only one I can think of. As I recall, all the Y-6s and Y-6as and Y-6bs from the 2120 to the 2180 were assigned to Shaffers. Except the 2162, which as I recall was assigned to Bluefield. I guess I'm wantin' ya to see if I recall correctly.

Merry Christmas!

EdKing
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:57 PM

OK, EdK, I gotta start Christmas shopping tomorrow and
I'll go by the archives to get data on the 2162. Bearing
in mind that I'd like to be outta there by the 24th at noon,
is there any other engine you want investigated ?
Harry Bundy

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.