611 at Pearisburg, Aug 1959

Wed Dec 26 12:50:10 EST 2007

Dave

Thanks for sharing the photo. Looking at the consist, which has no head-end
equipment, I'd say the train is most likely the Powhatan Arrow, only quite a
bit longer than normal. Why the train would stop on the far main is a bit
of a puzzler, Perhaps there was something preventing it from using the near
track, which I think they would normally do for passenger safety.

What also interests me is the orange vehicles. I don't recall what N&W
railroad vehicles looked like at the time. The near truck appears to be a
Dodge. Can some vehicle expert identify the other one; looks to me like a
General Motors product. Rev. Jim?

Sam Putney