611 at Pearisburg, Aug 1959 (NW Mailing List)

Thu Dec 27 09:10:41 EST 2007

Ed,
While spending the night in Bluefield, either late August or early September
1959, 611 arrived westbound with a similar consist. This was a surprise to
us and therefore we weren't prepared to get a photo. It was after dark
anyway and probably would have been in vain. I heard later that this was a
returning AEPCO excursion consist. I don't know exactly what it was doing
west of Roanoke since the general consensus seems to be that it ran between
Roanoke and Norfolk. But I know firsthand that 611 did arrive Bluefield one
night during late summer 1959 with passenger equipment. I assume the
subject photo was of the previous eastbound counterpart. The mention of
AEPCO truck colors indicate it may have all been their doing. That would be
my bet.

John Marbury

Jim - that AEPCo excursion DID occur after I went to work; so I was wrong
about the next run of the 611 being its last. But the AEPCo excursion went
from Roanoke EAST (I don't know how far - I tried to pace it around Montvale

and had to give up) and wouldn't have gone through Pearisburg.

EdKing

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
5:26 PM