50 th anniversary at Rural Retreat

Sat Dec 29 11:01:21 EST 2007

Hello all:
Wanted to add thanks to Mr. Stephenson for providing the wonderful, unpublished photo as well as the scan of Mr. Link's notes. I'm glad as much of his stuff survived the schemings of his ex-wife and others as it did and I'm even more glad the items found a good home.
This kind of information unearthing is invaluable and a big part of why this society's so great.
Thanks again.

Andre Jackson and/or Lisa Burrows
Life is short; update your anti-virus software
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:27 PM
Subject: Re: 50 th anniversary at Rural Retreat

"“Christmas Eve in Rural Retreat” is what he wanted us to remember: carols from the nearby church, the distant whistle and approach of The Pelican, and the wonderfully long departure as 603 continues into the night."

Ahhh, Christmas Eve and people wanting to get home for Christmas. For me, the dramatic thing that puts an exclamation mark on this recording is the sense of urgency. The train stops just barely long enough to discharge one passenger and then it's gone.
Jimmy Lisle