Location Help -- Springton, Mercer County, West Virginia-- FOR SURE!!

Mon Dec 31 08:57:16 EST 2007

Lloyd,
Thank you! You have hit the mark! I am very thankful that we have such recourseful people on this list. My guess, which was Bramwell, was obviously wrong.

Ben Blevins

.hmmessage P { margin:0px; padding:0px } body.hmmessage { FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma } Mason and All, THIS GREAT PHOTO of the Norfolk & Western Railway HARD AT WORK -- which must date to the World War II era or so -- is definitely on the abandoned but still on the ground Bluestone Branch, as Bruce in Blacksburg so expertly opined. I am SURE, however, that this location is in western Mercer County, West Virginia, very near the foot of Herndon Mountain and alongside West Virginia State Route 10. This is about five miles west of Matoaka and about 16 miles west of Princeton. In the right background is the now-demolished Springton School.
The 1411 and about six loads are on the line about one mile east of the coal mine at Arista -- the westernmost stub end of the Bluestone Branch. It is approaching this "stub-division's" -- Is this a NEW WORD, Mister Bundy?? -- junction with the spur up to the Turkey Gap Mine of Crozier Coal & Coke Company. If there is a post office nearby -- and it certainly could have been in a still-standing two-story brick building a few hundred yards back of the photographer -- it would have been Springton, West Virginia -- long before Zip Codes and all such stuff as that. Next post office east of here on the N&W is Hiawatha, West Virginia. Steps to the left lead up to a miner's home, also probably still standing and occupied.
I'm also sure Our Friend Tom Marshall of nearby and over Herndon Mountain Mullens, West Virginia, will confirm this information. Here is A FINE PHOTO of a rarely photographed branch and particularly a location buried so deeply in "Our Home Among The Heavenly West Virginia Hills!" Also, Mason: (1) Do You know either an approximate or exact date, (2) the photographer and (3) hopefully this is one in a long series of photos the hopefully nimble camera artist took that beautiful day?? Do You also have others in this vicinity from Bramwell and Bluestone Junction On The Main Line up to here and shortly beyond??
Sure looks like the work of Our Mutual Friends H. Reid, August Thieme and D. Wallace Johnson in Their Youths of the Late 1940s, when the lousy "roads" -- of which many were one-lane dirt or primitive Macadam pavement -- discouraged Many Of Our Kindred Spirited Folks from even thinking of such activities in The Boon Docks! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL, Lloyd D. Lewis, Kenova, West Virginia.....
Fellow N&W fans, I purchased this photo years ago without a location ID. Many places look similar, but does anyone know for sure?Thanks in advance, Mason Cooper. [Moderator] Image extracted to following: http://nwhs.org/qna/photos/20071230-1411.jpg

Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Get it now! ________________________________________