Reusing Signals (was VGN Morri Branch)

Tue Jan 1 19:48:00 EST 2008

Larry: To give one answer to that question of a 'full' head, CLARE Yard
had one- actually, the ex PRR mainline had one after the N&W bought that
track in 1976.

Trains coming eastbound over the new New Castle District over the ex-PRR
Richmond Branch ( Cincinnati-to-Richmond, Indiana) in 1976, came to CLARE on
the ex-PRR mainline to Columbus Ohio. These tracks went east of the CLARE
diamonds about one mile then were cut off and the entire line abandoned and
picked up from there. Thus, the New Castle trains had to come eastward to
Clare by coming from Richmond, down to NEW RIVER JUNCTION on the B&O,
getting on the B&O line for about 4 miles and getting back off the B&O at
Butler Street in Hamilton, Ohio. This ex-PPR then ran southward through
Reading, Evandale, the top of Norwood and down to Valley Junction where the
trains would turn east towards CLARE. Approaching the CLARE diamond, the
eastbound train would have to take the old passenger train connection
between the N&W mainline going into Clare and the eastward main for the PRR.
This would head the train to Portsmouth. At this location was a 'full'
signal head as the trains would be going off the New Castel District to the
Cincinnati District.

This signal was combined with a twin light, horizontal pair of reds over the
circular target. Thus stop-and-stay, stop and proceed, diverging or proceed
could be displayed. Trains could continue straight ahead on to the
stubbed-off ex-PRR tracks that were used for extra yard tracks and set-off
or diverge on to the Cincinnati District.

Typically the one or two trains that came down from Muncie during the day
would pull 'around the corner' towards Newtown and then back westbound
across the diamonds to get into Clare. Since the tracks in Clare were on
the short side, the train would double or triple back into the yard.
Westbound trains would double or triple back out of the yard in the reverse
manner.

After 1982 and the merger, no trains went to CLARE from the New Castle
district as they took the replaced B&O connection at East Norwood and went
on trackage rights to the ex-Southern Gest Street Yard. This signal was
still used until Clare Yard was rebuilt in 1993 to the Bulkmatic Facility
and the ex-PRR mainlines were revised into a single main and siding
arrangement and the diamonds removed. The CPL's were replaced with the
'traffic light' styles as the signaling at this junction was entirely
different.

Gary Rolih

Cincinnati

_____