The Cost Savings of Steam Today.

Fri Jan 11 19:40:27 EST 2008

This sounds like the fluidised bed technology promoted by the
(state-owned) National Coal Board in the UK, in the '70s albeit for more
efficient power station use (though I think I saw a demo for domestic
heating use) see
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/114187872/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0
for example.

Some more recent references are at:

http://www.iea-coal.org.uk/content/default.asp?PageId=982
http://www.worldcoal.org/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=420
http://www.mininginstitute.org.uk/library/categories/Fluidisation.html

It didn't fly then ....... altho' I believe some form of approach may be
used in more modern (or perhaps modernized) power stations.

Best wishes

Dominic Pinto

NW Mailing List wrote:

> Ed,

> Great question. I don't know if you have read the paper, it is in

> there. But basically the combustion/firebox design gasifies the coal

> to a combination of hydrogen, methane and carbon monoxide. This gas

> blend is burned completely above the firebed with no smoke and

> virtually no particle carryover. This is the simple version. Also

> coal fired power plants are not belching smoke anymore either.

<snip>