Of catenaries and pole lines

Sun Jan 13 07:41:12 EST 2008

In this modern steam discussion I've also seen alot about the electrification question. That is something else I doubt we'll ever see again. The railroads have gotten out of the power business. They don't want to be in it anymore.

Part of my job has been pole line elimination. This is a big thing with them as well. They want them gone. They let the utilities handle power transmission now. There was a time when the railroads had to transmit their own power due to a lack of availability in many rural areas. Now, the local utilities can get a power tap close enough that we can run it underground the rest of the way.

Also, the right of ways are not kept as clean as they used to be. Erecting Catenary lines on the tracks would cost a tremedous amount, and require more people to maintain them, as well as maintain the vegetation around them. Not only that, but these autoracks and double stack cars would require a very high cat line, meaning that the tunnel clearances would have to be even higher than what they are raising them to on the Heartland Corridor.

Ben Blevins