N&W in 1903 -- Tip Top Mt.

Sun Jan 13 14:42:37 EST 2008

EXCITING CHASE DOWN TIP-TOP MOUNTAIN AFTER WILD CAR
------
There was a thrilling chase down Tip Top hill Tuesday night almost midnight.
Just as No. 72 [?? blurred, best estimate] pulled into the station and came to a stop, a car loaded with lumber, which was standing on the siding, started down the grade towards Graham. In less time that it takes to tell it, Conductor W. A. Vawter, who was in charge of No. 72, and Engineer Alfred Hock decided to chase the runaway car, and uncoupling the engine, started on their perilous mission. Conductor Vawter took a position on the pilot of the engine, ready to couple to the runaway when it was overtaken. Faster and faster the wild car rolled, and Engineer Hock let his engine do its best and steadily gained on the car. When near Baileys the car was overtaken and successfully captured. Messrs. Vawter and Hock were complimented by the officials on their presence of mind and quick action which probably prevented a serious wreck.

Bluefield Daily Telegraph
June 4, 1903

[My grandfather Yearout was an engineer on the Pocahontas Division, and the Hocks were friends of my grandparents, but I never heard of this incident. My family visited the Hocks when I was very young and Mr. Al Hock was very old. He showed me his collection of Railroad Magazines and gave me one. He had a two-part article in Railroad Magazine about his experiences on the Pokey, but I cannot locate my copies. The one thing that I remember from the article is his statement that, due to the long hours on duty when he was a fireman, he had oftern gone to sleep standing up on the bouncing engine deck.]

Gordon Hamilton