intermodal on N&W/SOU passenger trains

Tue Jan 15 21:38:34 EST 2008

May not be the time frame of the question, the SR put 'pigs' on the 'leftover' N&W/SR (41/42?)headed north out of Lynchburg after the N&W discontinued. The train, SR 7/8, the Lynchburg Special, operated Lynchburg - Alexandria. The train would run one F and one coach to Monroe, get a couple of units onnthe front, then tack a few pigs on the rear. Occasionally, on southbound trips, I would ride on down to the Montview Yard shops where the train tied up for the night.
Charlie Long