Turntables in the early 20th Century.

Thu Jan 17 07:10:37 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/15/2008 4:07:41 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org writes:

Where, exactly, were the turntables in Ripplemead and Narrows?

Bruce:
I don't know about Ripplemead. The Narrows Branch tied
in to N&W on the south side of the right-of-way, west of
Narrows, west of Wolf Creek, at the foot of a sizeable cut.
A track chart of the branch shows no turntable in the vicinity
of Narrows. The timetable indicates the mixed train for
Suiter originated at Narrows JCT. My guess is that Narrows
Jct. was near the crossing of state route #651, and that the
turntable was located there.
Harry Bundy