Saving Engines

Fri Jan 18 10:16:47 EST 2008

Dave,
I'm glad you have this information. It needs to be forwarded in its original form to the necessary parties, but I personally don't know who that would be.

If it were still the N&W, I'd say they could have looked up the weights, but NS has never owned any of these locomotives, so they've never needed to know the weight of them. Whomever moves these things will need to know the weight so they can use the correct size crane. Looks like they'll need a crane that can lift about a quarter of a million pounds, give or take, with a reach that can set between the locomotives and the tracks without fouling the track.

It would be a very complicated and expensive process to relocate these engines now, as they haven't rolled in over 50 years. The chances of them being able to roll now are slim to none. They'll have to go out on flats, as I'll bet NS would never take a chance on setting one on their track only to find out it won't roll. Or, getting it half way there and have a journal sieze up.

But, funding is the biggest hurdle here. It's not impossible to move them, just expensive. If they can move a Big Boy several miles, then these can be moved as well. Click on this link.
http://www.uphs.org/4023move1.html

The Big Boy was relocated in Omaha. I don't know who paid for it, but if they can move a Big Boy, then these engines can be moved too. Its all about the funding.

Ben Blevins

>From the Office of General Supt. Motive Power, Jan 26, 1943, revised Jan 10, 1944 (Table, WEIGHT OF SCRAP - STEAM LOCOMOTIVES)

W2
Weight in working order - 175,100 lbs
Scrap weight, estimated at 83% of wt in working order - 145,330 lbs
Axles and rods - 5,810 lbs
Bronze - 900 lbs
boiler and firebox - 27,610 lbs
Extra Heavycast iron - 23,250 lbs
Flues - 7,900 lbs
Tires - 5,600 lbs
Misc unsorted - 74,260 lbs

M2, M2c
Weight in working order - 262,000 lbs
Scrap weight, estimated at 83% of wt in working order - 217,460 lbs
Axles and rods - 8,700 lbs
Bronze - 1,300 lbs
Boiler and firebox - 41,320 lbs
Extra Heavycast iron - 30,440 lbs
Bed castings, driving wheel centers - 6,520 lbs
Flues - 14,600 lbs
Tires - 6,000 lbs
Misc unsorted - 103,140 lbs

This table includes all classes in service at the time. Original in NWHS archives. Have copy here, can duplicate for interested parties.

FWIW

Dave Stephenson