NS runs into trouble moving locomotives from Roanoke scrapyard

Tue Jan 22 16:14:04 EST 2008

>From the TRAINS website

January 18, 2008

ROANOKE, Va. - Norfolk Southern Railway officials can't figure out how they'd move the surviving pieces of four steam engines and two diesels at a Roanoke scrapyard, the Roanoke Times reported. Preservationists would like to see the locomotives go to the Virginia Museum of Transportation.

"We have looked at the feasibility of moving those old locomotives out of there, and I guess the short of it is, we really have not come up with a practical way to do that," said NS spokesman Robin Chapman.

He said the barriers to moving the equipment include the fact that the locomotives are sitting on the ground, not on rails, and that the railroad doesn't know how much they weigh. Once they're loaded on flatcars, it would be an easy trip across town to the museum.

The engines at Virginia Scrap Iron & Metal include Norfolk & Western 4-8-0s 1118, 1134, and 1151, and 2-8-0 917, as well as two Chesapeake Western Baldwin diesels. The steam engines have sat there since 1950, and have badly rusted and been picked over.

jerry
<jmlaboda2 at yahoo.com>

Passenger Car Photo Indexes - UPDATED 9/13/07 WITH 7273 NEW LINKS ADDED!!!
<http://trainweb.org/passengercars/>

N-scale Passenger Car User's Guide
<http://trainweb.org/passengercars/UsersGuide.htm>

Appreciate Freedom??? Thank a Veteran!!!