NS runs into trouble moving locomotives from Roanoke scrapyard

Thu Jan 24 08:59:18 EST 2008

NW Mailing List wrote:

> Someone should forward the information that the engines are still on

> rails to Bev Fitzpatrick so it can be passed on up the ladder to Mr.

> Chapman.

> I thought they were setting on rails. I couldn't imagine why they

> would have ever taken them off the rails only to leave them there.

> That sounds like a lot of work for nothing, and could have caused them

> to fall over.

(snip)

We, the West Virginia Railroad Museum, moved two 1905 Baldwin 2-8-0s
from the woods in PA a couple of years ago. More info and photos can
be seen at http://www.wvrailmuseum.com/wvn280-01.html

Our locos were sitting on track that had not been maintained since 1970,
and in that 35 years, most of the ties were gone and the locos were
sitting 2-3" lower than the normal height of the rail. We had to dig
under the rails and put in temp ties to keep the rails from turning when
we moved the locos to a place where the cranes could pick them up. I
suspect that is a similar case with the Roanoke locos... while
technically on rails, there is no real 'track' left after the years they
have been there.

The cost for three cranes and the special flatbed trucks was just under
$100,000 to move the two locos.

I would love to have one of the Ms up here in our collection, but we
just don't have the $70,000 to get one here.

Take care
Bill
WVRRM Promotions

--