Modern Tank Cars

Mon Feb 11 13:33:05 EST 2008

Terry,

I suspect that what you're seeing is not that the center is smaller, but
that it is lower. A number of modern tank cars have the center lower
(think of a piece of pipe cut at an angle, then re-joined) so that the
liquid contents will drain more efficiently.

I'd hesitate to say that there are no cars with a smaller diameter
waist, but I can't think of any that I've ever noticed.

Kenneth Rickman