Signal Demise/position lights/Searchlight signal

Thu Feb 14 21:22:54 EST 2008

Ken,
I am running behind on my emails. The motel I was at this week didn't have a working internet connection. I'll get back to you on some of these items soon. But, the Virginian side of the N&W did have GRS searchlight signals. I know this because we cut in the Morri Branch near Oceana last month, and it was all searchlights. Now they are color light signals.

The N&W used US&S Position Light signals as everyone else has stated.

And, for the record, all the N&W prints refer to fences as Slide Fences, with SF the nomenclature for the fence, and SFR for the Slide Fence Relay. They used US&S switch circuit controllers for a trigger, but this is not the same as the US&S U5 used on switches. This variant is made to be vertically mounted and has different part numbers cast into them.

Ben Blevins

Wow! I am delighted at all the data on N&W position lights and also for the web site that was sent in. Thanks! That web site is loaded with great data. As to the question about where I saw that searchlight signal, it was in the NW Western Division, near Pearisburg, Va. I found it just before a bridge crossing over the New River from the NW side to the old Virginian side of the river. I have several great photos of it but have no way of sending them over the net. After reding that the position lights are 52" I measured the NJ International units I have in HO and they are not to scale. But some plastic ones ( that I can not recall who made them) are in scale. ( for the N&W modelers among you )

I am planning to attend a meeting in March at the N&W Archives in Roanoke and I will take these photos with me in hopes that someone there may be able to put them on a site where all can see them. One thing I discovered after looking at that web site is that the same basic signal aspects were the same as on the RR that I worked on. To be honest though, I had more crossing signals that track signals to deal with. Over 250 crossings to be exact. All of which had to be inspected once a month to keep the FRA happy. Which also reminds me, there was a photo of a junction with ordinary stop signs and I have photos of one similar to that on the GSWRR. I thought that we were the only cheap RR out ther but I was wrong. :) It sure makes one appreciate a great RR like the N&W.

Thanks again,

Ken McWilliams