1940s Commuter Service

Mon Feb 25 22:41:48 EST 2008

>From a design view point, the K3's did not do well what the N&W expected them to do in regular service. They were used mostly in time freight service on the level portions of the system since they lacked dragging power with heavier trains in hilly regions. However they were not good in fast service either since they tended to cause track damage in speeds exceeding speeds of 35-40 mph. The principle cause was the running gear had counterbalance problems with a relatively low driver and the main crank being on the third axle, a rarity for a 4-8-2. Yet the boiler was a free steaming one. The end result was a boiler too much for the running gear.

Using the K3 in commuter service from Ronoake to the Radford Arsenal and return turned out to be a good use for them. The ruling grades on this route was 1 percent one way and 1.34 on the other. With 12-14 cars on these long grades allowed the K3's to use their maximun boiler power in speeds below 40 mph. In the end the K3 's found its niche for the N&W for a very special need in WWII before they were sold to other roads by the war's end.

Bud
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: 1940s Commuter Service

Imagine! K3's screaming down the tracks at 38 miles per hour! Wheres my neck brace! LOL K3's were a good drag engine, but........

Mark Lindsey
Stuck in the 1930's