Bad News for VMT, Good News for Society

Tue Feb 26 09:37:01 EST 2008

Today's Roanoke Times has an article about a consultant's report that blasts
the Virginia Museum of Transportation for lax financial oversight and other
shortcomings. The museum staff and board agrees with parts of the report and
disagrees with other parts. The story (with links to the report) are on the
RT web site at http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/152245

One part of the article states, "Other portions of the report are scathing.
It cites "clutter and disregard for standards of storage and collection
care," and notes current staff members were unaware of an inventory of the
museum's collection done several years before."

It goes on to state that the museum staff is looking to improve things, "..it
is arranging to have its archives transferred to the Norfolk and Western
Historical Society, which has storage facilities on Salem Avenue that the
museum lacks. "We'd rather have the big trains" than the archives, [Bev]
Fitzpatrick [executive director] said. "That's what we do well."

So good for those in the Society who worked out the details of the
arrangement to preserve whatever records the museum might have left in its
collection. I'm sure this will increase the workload on the volunteers in
the Archives, but better that these records get stored in a proper location
than left to whatever whims might exist at the VMT.

Bruce in Blacksburg