What is a "partition coach"

Sun Mar 9 20:27:45 EDT 2008

The topic of "partition coach" was discussed on this List in January.

The following is from my Uncle Jim Prince, who worked on the Powhatan Arrow as a Travelling Passenger Representative (TPR) in the late 1940s and early 1950s, and is now retired in Florida.

As far as I can remember A car was a partitioned car. The
head end was lockers and a rest room for train crew. Next in
line was a small office for the Train Passenger
representative with a coat closet next to a rest room. This
office also had a small desk and chair. The next space was a
small lounge with smokeing facilities with a partition
separating the lounge and 40 seats. B car had a small office
for the Conductor in the head end of the car with rest
rooms. C car was a regular 52 seat coach. From the train
diagram I have no idea what the dormitory car was. The rest
of the information concerning week end over flow coach cars
is as I recall.
A car was used as the car where black passengers were
seated. Somewhere along that time segregation was ended and
A car was used for all passengers.
<<

-- abram burnett