smoke signals

Mon Mar 31 20:38:25 EDT 2008

Generally the darker the "cloud" from the stack, the
greater the waste of fuel and from a company's
standpoint, less efficient and cost more.

It is my understanding that when the railfan movement
really got cranking up in the 1930's and 1940's, it
was Lucius Beebe who really perpetrated all the "make
smoke" for the camera as that showed up as great in
the uneducated, yet rapidly growing, fan press.

We have Beebe to thank for the manifestation of dark
clouds from a steam locomotive's stack, company and
town ordinances not withstanding.

They do make for "better photos", not better operating
practices though as well all know.