Corrections - new Virginian book

Sun Apr 6 12:26:02 EDT 2008

I think Alex is correct about Arcadia's limited involvement. The author bears the responsibility for factual accuracy.

I feel that the low water mark (if there is such a metaphor) is the caption on Page 68 of the Arcadia book on Bluefield, WV under the stock N&W publicity photo of the Powhatan Arrow, which reads in part, "The Powhatan Arrow, the eastbound train, and Pocahontas, the westbound train, ran day trips between Norfolk, Virginia, and Cincinnati, passing the half-way mark at Tip Top in Tazewell County, Virginia."

Can you pick out three errors in that one sentence? It might help to know that Tip Top is on the Clinch Valley line to Norton, VA.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 10:14 AM
Subject: Re: Corrections - new Virginian book

I expect that Arcadia is simply the printer and distributor. While they might edit the grammer they are not going to edit the content in terms of correctness, that is up to the author. My own pet peeve about these books is some of the information is inaccurate because the author hasn't bothered to take the time to find the correct information or doesn't know the information at hand is incorrect. My concern about the books is the number of people who buy them and think they are completely accurate. Having said that I buy the titles that interest me for the photographic content while still being irritated at the captions.

If you have a complaint about the books complain to the author because the author is responsible for the content.

Researching and writing a book for historical correctness is a tedious, time consuming task as any of the many authors who sell or publish through NWHS well tell you. But the time is put into the effort to both ensure a quality product and to protect the reputation of the author and the publisher.

Alex Schust
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2008 11:21 AM

Not to excuse Arcadia, but I have found that a lot of the local pictures (Blacksburg, Christiansburg, N&W) have come from the Virginia Tech ImageBase, and the captions there are incorrect.

Dick Dunford
Blacksburg