N & WHS 2008 convention (Loco #578)

Fri Apr 18 09:50:51 EDT 2008

N&W #578 was a class E-2a that in the 1950s was assigned to passenger
trains 5 and 6 that ran between Bluefield and Norton on the Clinch
Valley Line.

There are photos of #578 in action on page 92 of Norfolk & Western in
Color by Jim Nichols; on page 108 of Norfolk & Western Passenger Service
1946-1971 by William Warden (revised by Kenneth Miller); and on page 12
of the July/August, 2004 The Arrow (Vol. 20, No. 4).

Paul Mandelkern
Winter Park, Florida