Virginian Electric Photo 8

Sat Apr 19 15:09:33 EDT 2008

Ah, the next modeling challenge, eh, Rev Nichols? Could be easy or simple, depending on if the mountings on the Bachmann EL-C and the Atlas Trainmaster differ greatly.

Sam Putney

Sent: Friday, April 18, 2008 10:25 PM
Subject: Re: Virginian Electric Photo 8

Although you wouldn't know it by casually looking at the trucks as mounted under a locomotive, the FM and GE trucks of that era (and, for that matter, the Alco C truck prior to their hi-adhesion design) were all so-called "tri-mount" trucks. (An off-set center plate pivot point and two sliding support locations on the truck with corresponding fixed support locations on the locomotive underframe) The differences between the GE752 traction motors on the Trainmasters and those on the EL-C's were minor at worst, so all that might have been required was to mount ground return brushes on the Trainmaster truck. I don't know the exact design of the ground return brushes on the EL-C's, but I do know what was used on the later PRR E-44's and I suspect the design on the EL-C's was similar; that brush mounted to the gear casing and contacted a ring on the axle. Did VGN use FM or GE axle sets in that truck? I don't know the answer to that, maybe someone else does.

All photographic evidence I've seen indicates that only one truck on one locomotive was ever interchanged with the FM TM truck (it's the forward truck in the second unit in the photo), so it may well have been that VGN only used the ground return brushes on the other truck. Those three would have collectively had enough current carrying capacity for the duty (remember, the 3300 HP continuous was electrically fed and returned at 11-12 kV, so the current isn't all that high).

Dave Phelps