Names of Shortlines in WV and VA that made up the N&W railway andVGN.

Mon Apr 21 12:41:19 EDT 2008

Gordon and Don,

I took a quick glance at the timeline and noted that the entry for N&W
aquiring the lands held by Flat Top Coal Land association is incorrect.

The N&W acquired the Poacahontas Coal & Coke Company in 1901 that had
purchased the lands of the Flat Top Coal Land Association. The Pocahontas
Coal & Coke Company was also the major stock holder of the Iaeger &
Southern.

Th entry would probably more correctly read, 1901 - Pocahontas Coal & Coke
Company, which owned about 300,000 acres of the Pocahontas coalfield,
acquired by Norfolk & Western Railway.

(Just as a note I have sent similar correction to NS Corporation to ask them
to correct their history on Pocahontas Land Company. I covered this land
acquisition, railroads and names changes on pages 39-41 of "Gary Hollow".)

I expect the land deal included the charters of the Tug River and North Fork
Railroad (Tug Fork Branch) and Southwest Virginia Railway Company (Jacobs
Fork Branch). Each of these railroads were chartered by Ritter, Mann, and
Hamill plus others. The N&W formally placed its personnel on the Board of
the South West Virginia Railroad Company on April 7, 1902, but did not
discontinue operating as South West Virginia Railroad Company until April
1908.

The N&W had a stock transfer and put its personnel on the board of the Tug
River and North Fork Railroad on Jan 17, 1902. The Tug River and North Fork
Railroad Company was voted out of business on March 4, 1902 and officially
discontinued business on March 10, 1902.

The N&W probably to over the Iaeger and Southern in January 1902 but the
first records I have are the annual meetin gin April 1902 when N&W personnel
are nominated to the board. The Iaeger and Southern offically conveyed its
property to the N&W on April 25, 1906 but the deed wasn't recorded until May
4, 1908. The railroad's charter was not officially discontinued until March
1, 1912.

The Iaeger and Southern was officially valued at $165,370 on the McDowell
County tax rolls in 1906; $1,046,103.67 in 1907 and $1,106, 674 in 1908. I
have the evaluations into 1913, but I would have to check the Court House
records to see if they are for Iaeger and Southern or Dry Fork Branch.

Alex Schust

Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: Names of Shortlines in WV and VA that made up the N&W railway
andVGN.