N&W in 1907 -- Double Track

Mon Apr 28 22:54:37 EDT 2008

The N&W was doubletracked from Norfolk to Portsmouth, Ohio, with the
exception of where there were "belt lines" and a very few single track
sections related to tunnels, etc. such as at Pepper.

Like the Southern were some main line double track was removed beginning
around 1962 (and traffic has required that some of this be put back) the
N&W did the same thing and now has alternating single and double track
sections except from around Bonsack to Walton (and possibly a few other
sections) which remained double tracked for the past 100 years or so.

Ray Smoot