Tidewater in 1907 -- New Coaches

Fri May 2 18:09:44 EDT 2008

Yes, Gordon, this sure did carry over to the Early VGN Years. I don't know when the cars -- and even depots -- were repainted gray with red trimming but some notes on Ye Olden Passenger Car Diagrams may give this information -- or better yet, this info must be in the Official VGN Car Records in the N&W/VGNHS Archives near Shaffers Crossing in Your Fine City. When a young'un I chipped paint from the Original VGN Depot in Princeton, WV, just to prove that, yes, that building was originally painted "Virginian Orange" just like the Original Barney & Smith-built wooden passenger cars, a color very similar to "Milwaukee Road Orange."
As I recall, old and early VGN postcards of passenger trains and depots and maybe other buildings reveal this interesting color scheme even in black & white. This gorgeous color may have come from the fact that TWR/DWR/VGN's First Chief Engineer Henning Fernstrom moved to Norfolk from the MILW, I think. Perhaps someone else on Our VGN RLY List Here has more definitive information on this. If so, PLEASE share. Best Wishes from my new home in Cass, WV!! Lloyd Lewis.
In and About the City
Several new passenger coaches built for the Tidewater road passed through the city yesterday over the Norfolk and Western. The cars are painted in bright yellow and red and have a gaudy appearance. Bluefield Daily Telegraph February 7, 1907 [Does any know whether this bright yellow and red livery carried over into the early Virginian years?]
Gordon Hamilton