N&W in 1907 -- Exposition Special

Mon Jun 2 14:58:12 EDT 2008

List:
This is pretty accurate description as far I know, as a Radford native. The road that was former ROW, at the S. end of Memorial Bridge-Rt. 11, is Hazel Hollow Road. At the intersection of Hazel Hollow and Rt. 11, the ROW made a gentile left curve and ran along the right side current Rt. 11. Before the businesses and highways made massive changes, you could see the shelf like on the embankment where the tracks were. There was (is) a business called Northside Flowers. You bear right at this building, just past the hot dog place and Hess, and you are on the old ROW (co. rt. 600) which comes from, more or less, behind/through the building.
Traveling to Belspring, you are pretty much on the old roadbed. You can tell by the flatness, cuts and gentile curves. But, there were some spots that always intrigued me. There are some creek beds that looked to have needed a little trestle to cross. One is right before you get to Belspring. In Belspring, I've always been under the impression that the tracks went right straight through and connected to the "new Walton-Parrot" cut-off at or near Parrott. Using maps.yahoo.com (better than maps.google.com in this area), it is easy to see a straight shot to the current NS main from Belspring to just beyond the end of Belspring Road in Parrott.
Don't forget to switch back and forth on either map site to see the satellite view! Trace yourself back to Radford and, if you look closely, you can see the old bridge piers!
Maybe Bud can add something.
Charlie Long