Strange Accident

Tue Jun 3 08:24:41 EDT 2008

It's one thing to be sitting on the track, actively looking for a train.
By and large, railfans are not the problem, because we all know what
to look for and that getting out of the way is a good idea.

The ones that really get to me are the people who use the railroad as
their private walking path, bathroom, bedroom, or hunting/fishing
grounds. They seem to think that the railroad's private property is
there for their own personal use, and no railroad should ever have the
right to impede that use by putting a train in the way. Similarly,
those who drive around crossing gates, or ignore the flashing lights,
bells, and oncoming train seem to think that it is their God-given right
to not stop for something as low as a freight train.

Do I seem a tad bit irritated? I am. I see it daily. I go home every
night thankful that I didn't kill anybody that day. The knowledge that
I could be forced by some idiot to experience a human body being ripped
to pieces, and that there's nothing I can do to prevent it, really gets
my goat. I offer my sincerest apologies to those on the list who would
rather read about the history of a great railroad, than listen to some
engineer rant and rave about how stupid the public is. It's just so
tempting to vent a little when I hear of things like this.

Kenneth Rickman - krickman1 at carolina.rr.com
Salisbury, NC

"You're a bubbling wealth of useless information!" - Holly Whitten