Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

Fri Jul 4 09:38:12 EDT 2008

I hope I am not totally going over old ground so please excuse me if that's true. Please indulge me on this query.

The N&W used both the K and Y classes on the Shenandoah Division. With that weight and axle loading, why was neither the J nor the A operated into Hagerstown during the 1982-1994 fan trip era?

I was part of the DC area trip committee during those latter years and we were always told weight being the reason for no J but that doesn't add up.

I have also heard some story, don't know the accuracy that a J was tried once during the active steam era and there was some problem at the Vardo wye. Once again, old stories, rumors, unsubstantiated all told.

For years the C&O 614 and Rdg 2100 lived in Hagerstown, so the weight issue doesn't sound right either but other reasons .. who knows?

Gentlemen ... any help out there?

Thank you.