Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

Sun Jul 6 20:51:43 EDT 2008

Your clocking of a 2100 at 55 mph interested me because it confirms what I had heard. To explain, the first job I had at the Shaffers Crossing roundhouse in 1956 was handling the broken steam locomotive parts reporting. When a failed part was removed, either someone would notify me or I would discover it on my frequent circuits of the roundhouse. I would inspect the part, fill out a report form to send to the physical lab in Roanoke Shops, and secure the part in case the lab wanted to inspect it. In some cases as a result of the lab's inspection, the lab would notify the design office that a change in design was needed. This was one way the N&W refined steam locomotive components for better durability.

I began to notice that a disproportionate number of broken parts were from 2100s off the Hagerstown line, so I asked one of the older supervisors about it and was told that the crews ran the 2100s as high as 60 mph, particularly on the portion of the line north of Shenandoah. So, I am glad to see your confirmation of speeds in that range.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 6:30 PM
Subject: Re: Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

When I was in high school, I motorcaded a 2100 at an indicated 55 mph in my '52 Hillman Minx in the Valley. The Y seemed more comfortable at that speed than did the Hillman.

pete groom