Steam Question on the Shenandoah Division

Sun Jul 6 22:38:00 EDT 2008

Interesting reasonings for why the A & J were not run on the Shenandoah Division. Someone has been kind enough to report the A's were not cab-signalled, but did THAT factor and not clearance and weight/axle loading alone determine they were never used? It would explain at least one reason anyway.

As for the J's, we all know they were racers and the Shenandoah Division for passengers was anything but racing territory. We've got some good techies on this list, what were the axle loadings for each axle on the J and the K-class? That data is around in Prince and other places.

However, by the time the J's were bumped from mainline passenger service, steam was already gone from Hagerstown-Roanoke territory.

Lots of questions, no complete answers.

Carl Jensen might know for he was the N&W/NS contact person on what could and couldn't go where and maybe why. Of course, maybe he just repeated what his superiors told him.