Farewell to Steam on the N&W

Mon Jul 7 00:35:10 EDT 2008

I spoke to a man a while back who was an engineer on the Winston Salem line.  He told me he happened to be in Bluefield one day (the reason why escapes me) and Mr. Saunders made a visit to the shops while he was there.  When he saw a K2a that was stored in the roundhouse he told whoever was in charge that the next time he paid a visit that "nasty hunk of junk" had better not be there.  So I believe based on that, Mr. Saunders had no love for steam which I think also helped with their quick demise!