Steam question regarding the Shenandoah Division

Mon Jul 7 14:48:46 EDT 2008

Yes, it was north of Shenandoah, probably between there and Hamberg.
The car speedo was probably a little fast, but . . .

pete groom
On Jul 6, 2008, at 5:51 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

Your clocking of a 2100 at 55 mph interested me because it confirms
what I had heard. To explain, the first job I had at the Shaffers
Crossing roundhouse in 1956 was handling the broken steam locomotive
parts reporting. When a failed part was removed, either someone
would notify me or I would discover it on my frequent circuits of the
roundhouse. I would inspect the part, fill out a report form to send
to the physical lab in Roanoke Shops, and secure the part in case the
lab wanted to inspect it. In some cases as a result of the lab's
inspection, the lab would notify the design office that a change in
design was needed. This was one way the N&W refined steam locomotive
components for better durability.

I began to notice that a disproportionate number of broken parts were
from 2100s off the Hagerstown line, so I asked one of the older
supervisors about it and was told that the crews ran the 2100s as
high as 60 mph, particularly on the portion of the line north of
Shenandoah. So, I am glad to see your confirmation of speeds in that
range.

Gordon Hamilton

. . .