N&W in 1907 -- Catawba Branch

Thu Jul 17 10:45:49 EDT 2008

Alex,

Thanks for the correction on the namesake for the town of Coopers.

Many years ago I used to know a Billy (William) Cooper who would visit the parents of my cousin Jean Hamilton of Bluefield, WV. He was either the son or grandson of Thomas Cooper. Also, this cousin is the one for whom Jean Pocahontas Coal Company was named, and on occasions she visited Thomas Cooper's Longwood mansion in Salem.

Gordon Hamilton
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: N&W in 1907 -- Catawba Branch

The community of Coopers was named after John Cooper who was the father of Thomas Cooper. John Cooper founded the Mill Creek Coal & Coke Company and was a partner in some endeavors with Jenkin Jones.

Mill Creek Coal & Coke Comapny script carries the name Coopers, WV on the bottom.

Alex Schust
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 9:51 PM

We always called it "Cooper" with no "s". For years I was irritated by people (not from these parts) who called it "Coopers," until I saw the highway sign the state of West Virginia had put up. You guessed it - "Coopers." Well, I still think the proper name is "Cooper." That's what the railroad called it. Jim Nichols

. In Prince's book on the N&W he gives the name of the mine as Sandburg, Va. Prince gives the owner of the mine as Cooper Silica & Glass Company. It would be interesting to know if the "Cooper" would be Thomas H. Cooper who built the 18-room mansion in Salem, Va., known as "Longwood" and who was a coal operator for whom the town of Coopers, WV is named, I believe.]

Gordon Hamilton