1958 - N&W passenger trains to use rented diesels

Fri Jul 18 11:22:53 EDT 2008

According to my records, Class J 610 handled No. 3 from Williamson to Portsmouth on the morning of July 18, 1958. At Portsmouth, it was replaced by the 603, which handled the train to Cincinnati.

Scioto Division No. 25 out of Williamson on the evening of July 18 was handled by leased RF&P units 1013-1012, which were fueled and watered at Portsmouth before continuing to Cincinnati. They returned east on No. 4 the night of July 18.

No. 26 out of Cincinnati the morning of July 19 was handled by Class J 603, which was removed at Portsmouth and replaced by K-2 118.

No. 26 out of Cincinnati the morning of July 20 was doubled-headed by diesels 1015-1014 and Class J 613. I don't know how the 613 got to Cincinnati, but it was removed at Portsmouth and the diesels continued east.

Nos. 33 and 34 on the Columbus District had already been replaced by the passenger-equipped Geeps (762-767).

Initially the 4 leased RF&P diesels were operated between Bluefield and Cincinnati on No. 3, 4, 25 and 26, with the leased ACL units operating east of Bluefield.

The above marked the end of REGULAR steam passenger operations on the Scioto Division, although there were several times later when steam was operated in emergency situations.

Louis Newton