GET YOUR CHECKBOOK OUT

Sun Jul 20 18:44:51 EDT 2008

OK boys - ready for this?

Sitting in my opulent hotel room in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia last night watching the Aussie network there was a great story on how the Polish National Railways is trying to save passenger service to small towns in one region (Wielkopolske) by giving novices (I'm guessing this lets out some of you out there) the opportunity to take a 6-day course in "engine driving" - British expresssion, we call it "being a steam engineer!".

After you complete the course (and fork over about $3,000 or so) you get to drive a steam engine (GWR 2-6-2 #5521) from Wroclaw to Jelcz Laskowice in regular daily service! Take that, Strasbourg Rwy! Top this one, you live steam guys with a circle in your backyard!

It looks like a hoot and the next time I get a spare three grand (plus airfare) I'm there! Here's the website: www.thewolsztynexperience.org. Ed Svitil