Age Question / Ole Maud

Wed Jul 23 15:25:51 EDT 2008

I cannot resist adding my trivia contribution to the Old Maude discussion!

Unfortunately I was not present on the day that O.Winston Link was there
for the dedication of the Green Cove Station in 1991. I was there on
October 7, 2006 when a large stone/monument that includes the "Ole
Maude" photograph was dedicated. Winston's son, Conway, was the speaker.
A stand-in for Ole Maude was there also with a sled that somewhat
matched the one in the photograph. I happen to know that that Ole Maude
present in 2006 is owned by a fellow who lives near Troutdale, VA (not
too far from Green Cove) and that "Maude" is pastured there adjacent to
VA 603.

Another interesting point is that several of the people who appear in
the Ole Maude photograph were present at the event in 2006. The two boys
at the front of the sled are brothers and were present in 2006. I
believe the man holding the reins was their father and is deceases. Of
the three girls/ladies on the station porch, two were present in 2006. I
met each of these people that day, and I think one of them told me the
name of the dog standing in the doorway but I cannot recall the name now.

Ed
(A sometimes USFS volunteer in the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area)