Age Question / Ole Maud

Wed Jul 23 21:20:56 EDT 2008

I thought of OWL in the middle of the night last Monday:

It was a very bright and hot moon-lit night in the Ellett Valley near
Blacksbury along the former VGN. About 1:30am an eastbound came down the
mountain and gave the customary two longs, a short, and a long for the
crossing just above Ellett. The horn was in serious trouble......
sounded somewhat like a straining Electrolux vacuum cleaner.
Immediately, a coyote in the distance let out a chilling yell and was
soon joined by a choir of coyotes all yelling in response to the horn.
This lasted about a minute and then silence. I immediately thought of
the Christmas 1957 OWL recording. Needless to say, this will not rival
it but it was an entertaining event.

The former VGN west of Roanoke continues to be quite active because of
the tunnel work on the Heartland Corridor. We have about 18 trains a
day, about half each way. The passing track at Fagg is often in use.

On another matter, I have enjoyed the talk on this site about the webcam
at Hotel Roanoke which is operated by the Virginia Tech Foundation. We
are still getting some kinks out but use is heavy and we are glad it has
been so well received. And I was told today that over 60 railfan
packages with a room overlooking the tracks have been sold in the first
month of the railcam.

Ray Smoot