A Bad Hair Day Rex _Sheridan

Sat Jul 26 12:11:59 EDT 2008

Gary,

The fact that this track was installed a hundred years ago makes it hard
to ID the reason behind it. But, eastbound traffic into Kenova seems to me
to have never had any volume that would necessitate a hold track for train
loads unless something very interesting was going on way back when. From the
40 s on my observation show the morning eastbound set off for interchange
and the evening Ironton local returning to Kenova with the thru hot shots
east and west hardly ever making a Kenova set off or pick up. My first
thought that the munitions plant at South Point may have played a role, but
that was a WII factor and REX seems by these messages to predate Allied
Chemicals Nitrogen Processing Plant by decades. I then fall back that a long
siding on each side of Kenova (because of it being a three railroad
interchange point; N&W, C&O, and B&O made a long term strategic decision a
reasonable point, as my feelings about N&W management's long range-forward
looking management style gave them their ability to be so strong
financially.

As to holding movements from the East at Prichard and points on east
would be in order with the number of river bound coal movements making those
sidings a must.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. This is the part of rxr history that
gets my attention, the WHY of it all. It really falls into the same
interesting read that I had about electronic tracking of long distance
trucking. The first single point transcontinental trucking company of any
size (operational base was only at Fort Scott, KS) installed refueling
communications throughout the US. They put 50 gallons fuel tanks on their
units so that the truck had to be refueled daily and only at set refueling
sites with this "leased line" communication set up that linked into the Fort
Scott computers. The first item they studied were the units that were
refueling ("out of route"- excessively out of route). SURPRISE, girl friends
!!!

History is fun !!

Oakie G. Ford