Virginian RPO schedule

Sun Aug 3 04:58:38 EDT 2008

August 3, 2008

Good morning, Skip and the Virginian Brethren:

While answering an inquiry for someone else, I've scanned a ROANOKE & CHARLESTON RPO schedule table from:

SCHEDULE OF MAIL TRAINS #395 – 09/14/1915, THIRD DIVISION, RAILWAY MAIL SERVICE

http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/ebay/03395072.jpg

For N&W historians, a ROANOKE & FLORENCE RPO timetable is in the same scan. This route transversed the Winston-Salem District as well as the Winston-Salem Southbound and Atlantic Coast Line Railroads.

Notes and symbols used in the timetables are substantially the same as they were in 1939. For example, an "a" after a train number indicates that the train operated daily. The notes pages are:

http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/ebay/03529004.jpg
http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/ebay/03529006.jpg
http://www.railwaymailservicelibrary.org/ebay/03529008.jpg

You may have further questions after reading the schedule entries. Please ask, and I'll answer to the best of my ability. When doing so, please reference the file name. By the way, \03395072.jpg means 03 = RMS Division; 395 = schedule issue number; and, 072 = the page number. When two pages are shown within a single scan (which is usually the case), the even-numbered page number is used in the file name.

I'll leave these files on my server for about 30 days, then remove them. When downloading a graphic file, please save it to your hard drive for future reference. If you use these in an article, kindly acknowledge the RMSL as its source.

Best wishes,

Dr. Frank R. Scheer, Curator
Railway Mail Service Library, Inc.
f_scheer at yahoo.com