Melborn

Sun Aug 24 21:00:07 EDT 2008

Jeff,

I found the following in the 1934 N&W Annual Report:
At Roanoke, Va., telephone and telegraph equipment was installed in General Office Building and Freight Station for use in operation of Shenandoah and Radford Divisions, replacing equipment destroyed by fire in old Park Street office.

What surprised me was to find the following in the 1909 Annual Report:

The two top floors and roof of the west wing of the General Office Building at Roanoke having been destroyed by fire February 10th, 1909, the entire interior of the wing was afterwards replaced with steel and concrete fire-proof construction.

Maybe others know of the 1909 fire, but I don't remember anything about it. It hasn't received the publicity of the January 4, 1896, incineration of the original general office building.

Gordon Hamilton

Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2008 5:56 PM
Subject: Re: Melborn

Harry,

Interesting that the TC machines were on rollers in case of fire. I can't locate the date right away, but the original Radford Division office, located just east of Park Street, was lost in a fire. They were then relocated in the GOB-South.

Jeff Sanders
Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2008 8:52 AM

Roger-
Melborn was 5.22 miles west of Radford near
MP 306. It's no longer there. In 1922, the
siding was about 3400 ft. long, later extended
to 6300 feet.

There was a head-ender that occurred there
on 01/30/1918. No. 26, the Memphis Special,
Engs 102-105, was operating on a "run late"
order and collided with Extra 1461 resulting
in 4 employee deaths.

The traffic control machine was located on
the 4th floor, west wing of GOB-South,
Roanoke. My understanding was that the
TC machines were equipped with rollers,
just in case there was a fire. Probably not a
bad idea. The building manager once said
that even at home, he ran to the window
every time the general fire alarm went off
to see if it was GOB-South.
Harry Bundy