Superheaters and Throttle Linkage

Mon Aug 25 01:20:55 EDT 2008

I was looking at the picture of Y-3a 2077 on the August page of the NWHS
2009 Classic Calendar and noticed that it didn't have the throttle linkage
on the engineer's side to the smokebox like the Y-6's and and A's. After
doing a little bit of research I discovered that locomotives with a
superheater usually had a front-end throttle which I hadn't heard of
previously. The linkage on the Y-6's and A's apparently go to such a
front-end throttle. I guess this means that the Y-3's, or at least this
one, were not superheated. I think that the actual throttle valve in a non
front-end throttle situation was located in one of the domes; in the case of
the Y-3a, I would guess that it would be the 2nd dome back from the stack.
The dome just behind the stack appears to be a sand dome. My questions:
how did the linkage get from the cab to the dome that had the throttle -
nothing is apparent in the photo. Also, which N&W engines were superheated?
Were the J's? Were the K2a's? Were the K1's.?

Thanks,

Bill Mason