J Class Changes

Tue Sep 2 07:37:07 EDT 2008

The "extra" side rods were removed on three J's in their first life: 600,
605, and 611. Actually, the rods on these engines were completely replaced.
As I understand it, the reason had to do with a stress failure of some kind.
Check out photos of the various J's and you will see that the replacement
rods had much larger rod bearings on drivers 2 and 3. I would call this an
ungrade applied as necessary, and only three engines got it. 611 was the
last of the three to get the new rods.

Also 611 in its second life had two generators installed instead of the
original one.

--Rick Morrison

Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 5:22 AM
Subject: Re: J Class Changes