SD45's

Sat Sep 13 05:51:04 EDT 2008

Jimmy-
I'm not exactly sure when the SD45's dis-
appeared. I can probably look at the
assignment book at the archives and give you
an idea. After N&W service, some were sold
to Wisconsin Central and they'd occasionally
get back to the N&W.

Although I was assigned to the Mechanical
Department, my mechanical knowledge was
(and is) really limited. I only gapped the spark
plugs of the diesel engines coming off overhaul.
My understanding is that the downfall of the
SD45's came because their long crankshafts
began to warp.
Harry Bundy