SD45's

Sat Sep 13 09:03:54 EDT 2008

The downfall of the SD-45's was fuel consumption and the cranks actually
broke taking cylinders and all kinds of broken parts into the oil pan.

N&W had a total of 115 of these locomotives. All were built with high hoods
but 1728 ended up with a low hood after an accident. The original 1730 was
destroyed when she fell off a bridge in a derailment in West Virginia. No. 1733
was later renumbered 1730 to make room for the River Street Rambler which was
also 1733 when N&W and Southern merged.

It took me five years but I eventually photographed every one of them.

I am still looking for a photo/slide of 1776 in her original blue scheme if
anyone has one.

Thanks,

Richard D. Shell